Who We Are?
SEARCH [Society for Environmental Actions, Reconstruction and Humanitarian Response] is environmental NGO working in Pakistan for food security, agrarian reforms, sustainable agriculture, participatory governance and rural development.
SEARCH mainly works for Kachho area of District Dadu. The area is located between 67-68 degree East and 26-27 degrees North, and situated between Balochistan border in the west and Dadu in the east, a barren area with sparsely scattered forests and rangelands is called Kacho. It's a long belt of plain land near the Kirthar hilly range. It ranges from District Jacobabad in North to the Manchar Lake in the East (One of the world’s important fresh water eco-system, Ramsar site, and wetland and wildlife sanctuary in Sindh province of Pakistan. The lake is very old and is believed to have originated in the Cenozoic era). The total area of Kacho is 342,889 acres. According to 1998 census the population of Kachho is about 108766. The no. of men 57301 and women is 51465, a ratio badly tilted towards men. The Mountainous part of Kachho is full of natural resources which include different kinds of fauna, flora, minerals and substances like cherloli, sang-e-murmur, black stone, Jasper and Gypsum.
Generally Kachho is rain fed area and mostly agriculture depends on rainfall. Ten torrential streams are the major source of cultivation. These streams flow are dependent on the rain water of the range of Kherthar Mountain. About 35 percent of the cultivated area depends on the water of these ten streams. A majority of the population is attached to subsistence agriculture. The soil of Kachho is very fertile and rich. On many occasions, people get full crop with just one irrigation. The rest of 65 percent area is totally dependent on direct rain. The Kachho area is highly vulnerable due to its geographic location, in monsoon season the rain water comes rushing from the mountains down slope, thus creating havoc for population living in Kachho area. After droughts 2001-2007 and floods 2010-2011, different communities of the Kachoo area migrated and some are planning to do so in near future.
News & Updates